Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Just a Game" by Triumph (1978)



View the Premise & Ground Rules for Revisiting Vinyl

Filed Between: Randy Travis and The Troggs

"We wait and watch and wonder just which puppet they'll select... It's just a game and all I can do is play."

Key Tracks:
Movin' On, Just a Game, Hold On

My Overall Rating of the Tracks Separately:
HIGHLY Recommended (3.5/4 stars)

Every time I find music I haven't heard by Triumph, I really enjoy.  It's always big and ballsy and a good bit smarter than most of its peers.  They are a lost jewel in the crown of classic rock.

So, why didn't they make it into the canon?  I think it comes down to four letters: R - U - S - H.  Let me describe a band to you - they're a Canadian power trio who sometimes use keyboards and sometimes address philosophical and/or political subject matter.  They also happen to have a great song about the music business.  Sound familiar?  Just so you know, I was actually talking about Triumph.  On paper, they look like long lost man-in-the-iron-mask twin brothers, but they're really not all that close at all.  Triumph is more like... well, nobody.  They are always their own band.

I happened across them when a late night DJ on our local Clear Channel classic rock station went on a tirade about how good and underappreciated they are and then he spun one of their songs (which I assume resulted in a flailing because it wasn't The Black Crowes).  I had to check them out. So when I got into vinyl they were high on my radar. I was not disappointed.

Do yourself a favor, go check out Triumph.

So, is it an album?  Yes.  There's a clear vision and definitely a hand guiding everything here.

Up next, sweeeeeeeeeeet!  We get to check out my vote for the best guitarist of all time!

No comments:

Post a Comment